Best Cheap MIDI Keyboard Controllers
In the music industry, we are being introduced to new equipment every day. But, most of the musicians are unable to buy these new pieces of equipment due to budgetary concerns.
As a result, they mostly stick to their old equipment until it gets damaged and needs to be replaced. You will also see musicians borrowing equipment from their friends on occasion.
The budget is very important
When it comes to most musicians, budget is a big issue in regards to the music equipment they are buying. If you opt for MIDI keyboard controllers, you will be able to keep most of these budgetary concerns at bay. In the past, musicians had not too many choices. Also, entry-level units used to be a lot more expensive.
As for MIDI keyboard controllers, you will be able to find them in different price ranges as there are so many brands in the business today. I would suggest M-Audio Keystation 88ES MIDI controller if you have a budget of $100-$200. This is perfect for musicians who prefer a full range piano keyboard.
You might think that it is a little heavy, but that is not the case at all, even though it is a full keyboard with semi-weighted key action. Another thing that you need to consider is that velocity sensitive feature, which is very helpful in sending accurate data.
Also, it comes with modulation wheels and pitch blend and that allows you to control samplers and synths. This is definitely a good feature. If you are looking for fancy features, then you will be disappointed.
If you are a musician who is more concerned about the functionality of the product, then you will definitely appreciate it. However, you will have to use software to produce the perfect sound. I would recommend using it with a product like, Garage Band.
Things to remember
Let’s take a look at the common pros and cons associated with this product:
- When it comes to smaller controllers, constant hitting of the octave switch might be a problem, which is a problem you will not have to deal with if using a full 88 key controller.
- M-Audio Keystation 88ES is recommended. It has a USB MIDI interface attached to it. The best thing about this is that it will be easier for you to be able to establish a connection with the MIDI software.
- If you are worried about the power source, using the USB port will allow you to draw power from your computer, or you may want to use a 9VDC power adapter.
- Most users have reported satisfactory result with this product.
- It doesn’t have buttons, screens or knobs. If you prefer a minimalist style then you would love this.
- If you are a practical musician, you would definitely appreciate this. You will be able to get the work done without any fuss.
- It is almost plug and play.
- It is affordable.
The role of MIDI keyboards
As we all know, we are living in the world of computer generated audio. MIDI keyboards are playing a big role in it. When it comes to most of the professionals and hobbyists working in the field of electronic music today, they rely on computers to generate the sound they are trying to achieve.
As we all know, sound produced by the computer is synthesized. Who controls this sound? It is the job of the MIDI keyboard and a MIDI controller. They do a great service at making them playable. Most importantly, they make sure that it sounds like the traditional musical instrument.
When it comes to MIDI controller keyboards, it’s difficult to give a simple definition. They come in different varieties. Different models offer different features.
The Piano keyboards will be able to mimic the sound of the piano. It will also include familiar hardware, like foot pedals. When it comes to a MIDI keyboard controller, it comes with a hardware synthesizer that acts as an interface.